Alan M. Cohen, Esquire
Phone: (508) 620-6900
Fax: (508) 620-9696
Alan M. Cohen has been practicing law for over thirty years. A graduate of Clark University (B.A. 1980) and Washington University School of Law (J.D. 1983), Attorney Cohen is a member of the Massachusetts Bar and has also been admitted to practice in the U.S. District Court of Massachusetts, U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit. Martindale-Hubbell awarded Attorney Cohen its highest rating, an AV rating.
Other attorneys call Attorney Alan M. Cohen not only to collect their clients’ bad debt but also bad debt owed to them by their clients.
Attorney Alan Cohen is a member of the Massachusetts Bar Association. He practices commercial litigation with a focus on commercial debt collection and business debt collection litigation.
The Northeast Chapter of the National Association of Credit Managers (NACM) chose Alan M. Cohen as one of the featured speakers at an annual meeting held at Harvard University.
Unlike others who often write often ineffective letters and make time-wasting telephone calls, Attorney Cohen takes a more direct approach to debt collection. He strongly believes that timely and aggressive action is the key to effective debt collection.
Attorney Alan M. Cohen’s philosophy is simple. GET YOU PAID. He immediately commences suit, seeking where appropriate, ex parte attachments of your debtor’s bank accounts, real estate or income stream using reach and apply injunctions. When successful, your debtor first learns of Attorney Cohen’s name when its bank tells them that he has attached their account.
Attorney Alan Cohen prepares, perfects, and enforces mechanics liens.
Attorney Alan Cohen aggressively enforces foreign judgments.
Attorney Cohen works hard to collect bad debts.
Despite this use of aggressive, relentless, effective and ethical debt collection techniques, Attorney Cohen acts professionally, thereby allowing you the choice of rehabilitating the debtor. Often, even after Attorney Cohen has aggressively collected the monies due to you, your debtor then hires Attorney Cohen to collect its debts!
Attorney Cohen was selected by the National Business Institute to participate in a panel seminar on Collecting Delinquent Debts in Massachusetts and has been a frequent speaker at local National Association of Credit Managers meetings.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Collections
- Commercial Debt Collection
- Business Debt Collections
- Debt Recovery
- Business Debt Litigation
- Foreign Judgment Enforcement
- Domestication of Foreign Judgments
- Bad Debt Collection
- Commercial Litigation
- Business Litigation
- Collecting Overdue Accounts
- Delinquent Accounts
- Mechanics Liens, Notice of Contract, Statement of Account
- Construction Litigation
- 98% of Practice Devoted to Debt Collection Litigation
- Massachusetts, 1983
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts, 1984
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 1st Circuit, 1985
- Washington University School of Law, St. Louis, Missouri
J.D. – 1983
Law Journal: Washington University Urban Law Journal, Senior Editor, 1982 – 1983
- Clark University, Worcester, Massachusetts
B.A. – 1980
- Comment, Milwaukee v. Illinois, Washington University Urban Law Journal, 1982
- How to Get Results in Collection of Delinquent Debts in Massachusetts (Co-Author), NBI, 1994
- Bagley v. Moxley, 555 N.E. 2d 229 (Supreme Judicial 1990)
- Edward J. King v. Globe Newspaper Company, 512 N.E. 2d 241 (Supreme Judicial 1987)
Representative clients include attorneys, banks, private lenders, lumber yards, plumbing suppliers, HVAC suppliers, electrical suppliers, building material suppliers, drywall suppliers, sand and gravel companies, produce suppliers, meat and poultry suppliers, fish and shellfish suppliers, suppliers of sundries, equipment rental companies, commercial landlords, insulation companies, consultants and accountants to name but a few.
- David Perry, Controller, Concord Lumber Corporation, 1-800-698-4343
- John Denison, President, E.G. Barker Lumber Company, Inc., 1-978-933-0057
- Julieann M. Thurlow, President & CEO, Reading Co-operative Bank, 1-781- 942-5000
- Daniel Tai, Default Reporting & Loss Recovery Mgr, PMI Mortgage Insurance Co., 1-925-658-6169
- Panelist, Collecting Delinquent Debts in Massachusetts, National Business Institute Seminar
- Speaker, Local National Credit Managers Association Meetings
- Featured Speaker, Northeast Chapter of National Association of Credit Managers (NACM) annual meeting held at Harvard University
Honors and Awards
- Congressional Fellow, United States Senator Paul Tsongas, 1983
- AV-Rated, Highest Peer Rating, Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Massachusetts Bar Association, Member, 1983 – Present