How to Enforce a Foreign Judgment in Massachusetts

How to Enforce a Foreign Judgment in Massachusetts

Enforcing a non-federal foreign judgment in Massachusetts is harder than in other states. Unfortunately, Massachusetts has not enacted the Uniform Foreign Judgment Act. What this means for you is that:

1.     You must file a brand new law suit in Massachusetts.

2.     In essence, the debtor can raise only two defenses:

(a)     The out-of-state court issuing the judgment did not have personal jurisdiction over the debtor; or

(b)     The debtor was not properly served with the summons and complaint and thus did not have notice of the underlying suit.

Assuming that neither issue applies, there are two ways a Massachusetts attorney could seek to enforce the foreign judgment,

Their way — Wait until entry of judgment  then passively try to collect,


The Law Offices of Alan M. Cohen LLC’s way – –  Immediately file suit on the judgment and attempt to attach assets so that you can get paid.

For more information call Alan M Cohen at (508)620-6900 or email

Related Posts