Debt Collection Blog

"Relentless Collection Attorneys"

Alan Cohen

Enforcement of Foreign Judgments Where Assets Are in MA

If you have obtained a judgment in another state or country, but your debtor’s assets are in Massachusetts, you might worry that you’re out of luck when it comes to enforcing what your jurisdiction has granted. With the Law Offices of Alan M. Cohen LLC and Attorney Cohen’s signature dedication to pursuing all judgments to their end, however, it doesn’t matter where you’re located.

Domesticating Foreign Judgments in MA

One of the first steps Attorney Cohen will take is to domesticate your foreign judgment to MA. Unlike most other states, MA has not adopted the Uniform Enforcement of Foreign Judgments Act so a creditor must file suit on their judgment in Massachusetts to obtain a Massachusetts judgment.

Before our law offices move forward with that, however, we dive into your situation to investigate what assets your debtor holds in MA, seeking to obtain ex parte attachments in advance of the MA judgment. With successful attachment on the asset(s), we will have obtained prejudgment security that will help enforce your judgment when it is domesticated.

Enforcing the Judgment

Much like any other collection judgment, your domesticated judgment in MA is only worthwhile if it can be enforced. Many debtors choose to ignore judgments, hiding assets away while attorneys send persuasive letters and make demands.

Attorney Cohen works differently.  He seeks to identify and freeze your judgment debtor’s assets before obtaining a MA judgment. The Law Offices of Alan M. Cohen use aggressive, relentless, effective and ethical tactics to attempt to ensure that your debtor, and his or her assets, cannot escape the judgment you’ve obtained.

We will use our prejudgment attachments to enable the sheriff to serve the bank, and record any real estate attachments as collateral. Liquidating these assets post judgment  can provide the funds needed to repay the debt you are owed. Post judgment, where appropriate, we seek to garnish wages, attach bank accounts, and take other steps to ensure that every penny you deserve comes your way.

We work hard to serve our clients who are out of state or out of the country. We can handle court dates and other logistics on your behalf so that you do not need to travel to MA needlessly.

We have a lot of experience in working with foreign judgments. You can rely on our knowledge and skills to enforce yours.

For more information on enforcing foreign judgments and collecting foreign debt , call Alan M. Cohen at (508) 620-6900 or email

client success stories
Debt Collection Blog