Debt Collection Blog

"Relentless Collection Attorneys"

Money being handed from person to person.

Turn Out of State Judgments into Money Using Massachusetts Foreign Judgment Collections Lawyer

Have you been relentlessly trying to get in touch with your debtor who resides in Massachusetts? Is it becoming more and more difficult for you to reach out and follow up with your Massachusetts debtor because of the geographical barrier? Don’t know how to recover your money? Are you thinking of writing it off as bad debt?


Well, then what if we told you that you don’t have to do that anymore, and that you may be able to get all your monies back, if you choose to work with us, the debt recovery attorneys at the Law Offices of Alan M. Cohen LLC. Regardless of your geographical location, we can help you with debt recovery of your civil judgment if your debtor operates or has assets in Massachusetts. Allow our experienced creditor rights attorney Alan M. Cohen to help you with debt collections whether it is a foreign judgment or Massachusetts civil judgment that you need to have collected.

With the Law Offices of Alan M. Cohen LLC, you don’t have to lose hope or write off your hard-earned money as bad debts just because you can’t reach or find your debtor.

So, let’s get started… Shall we?

Here’s what you have to do first. Get the civil judgment from the court. Whether you’re located in the US or any other place in the world, in order to start the debt recovery process from your Massachusetts debtor, the first thing that you have to do is win a civil judgment in debt recovery litigation in Massachusetts.

What is a Judgment?

A judgment is a court order that is the decision in a lawsuit. In debt collection lawsuits and any other commercial litigation, if the judge awards you, the creditor, a judgment against the debtor, then you have access to the complete tools available you undertake extreme debt recovery in Massachusetts.  What makes debt recovery extreme? At the Law Offices of Alan M. Cohen LLC, we are passionate in pursuing your deadbeats to try to collect from them your money. No letters. No calls. Just action.   

Once you get the foreign judgment against the debtor, we’ll take care of the rest. Our Massachusetts bad debt collections lawyer will leave no stone unturned in order to try to turn your out-of-state judgment into money for you. 

By leveraging our 30 years of legal experience and strong understanding of the laws of the state of Massachusetts, we’ll first domesticate your ‘out of state’ or foreign judgment. This is a vital, in fact a compulsory step, to successfully enforce the civil judgment and recover the debt in conformance with the law.

At the Law Offices of Alan M. Cohen LLC, whatever tactics or steps we take to recover monies, we make sure that they are in conformity with the law of the state because we don’t want our clients to face statutory charges down the line. We are experienced bad debt collection attorneys and we put our experience to work for you every day.

Though a mistake in the domestication of the judgment may not bar the out of state creditor’s claim, it can nonetheless cause delay in the process of obtaining a valid, legal and enforceable civil judgment in the State of Massachusetts. 

Therefore, it is important that the attorney you hire for converting the out of state judgment or foreign judgment into cash is skilled and has a sound understanding about the domestication process as well as Massachusetts debt recovery. And that is what we are experienced in. This is what we do. We collect debt. We enforce foreign judgment. We collect civil judgments. We collect delinquent accounts often without having to bring it to a civil judgment. We have the debt collection experience that you need and deserve. Let Alan M. Cohen handle your case in Massachusetts and domesticate foreign judgment on your behalf.

How to domesticate and enforce Foreign Judgment?

The method of enforcing out of state judgment predominantly depends on what state the individual is attempting to collect and where the judgment is from. For example, The Uniform Enforcement of Foreign Judgments Act basically allows the judgment’s enforcement once it has been filed either with the local district or superior court.

Now, what is important to understand here is that this act is by and large adopted by 46 states in the US. However, the four states that have not accepted or adopted it include Vermont, Indiana, California and Massachusetts. Therefore, to force the judgment in Massachusetts, the judgment creditor must file the domestication action to make the out of state judgment or foreign judgment locally enforceable. And this we can do for you.

The domestication process may sound complex but don’t worry we’ll handle every aspect of it, making sure you stay free of worry and confusions. Our attorneys will obtain the Massachusetts judgment by filing the suit on your foreign judgment on your behalf in the court. Once the court enters a Massachusetts civil judgment we the will have the authority to enforce the foreign judgment as a Massachusetts civil judgment. Remember, unlike others who simply file suit to domesticate the foreign judgment and then wait to be awarded a Massachusetts civil judgment, we at the Law Offices of Alan M. Cohen LLC start the work of attempting to collect your foreign judgment, the moment we file the civil action to domesticate your foreign judgment into a Massachusetts civil judgment.  Once we have obtained the Massachusetts civil judgment domesticating your foreign judgment, the Massachusetts court will issue the execution. We then move to the next step which basically is judgment enforcement of the Massachusetts civil judgment on your foreign judgment.

Remember judgments give creditors strong tools to collect the debt. So, once the judgment is domesticated you can rest assured that you’re one step closer to recovering your unpaid bills. With us, you don’t have to worry about the debtor ignoring the judgment as we use aggressive, relentless, legal and appropriate tactics to attempt to make sure that your money is recovered soon. Unlike other attorneys, we take every debt collection case whether local or international seriously, and try different ways and techniques to ensure debt recovery.

In other words, we never give up. We continue to follow your debtor unless they make payments. However, we do at the same time make sure that your debtor is treated respectfully so that both parties (you and your debtor) can work together in the future on amicable terms, if you so choose.

Tactics that Our Massachusetts Bad Debt Collections Lawyer May Use for Debt Recovery

At the Law Offices of Alan M. Cohen LLC, we use a variety of different tactics to collect your debt. Here are some of the techniques that we may use depending on the circumstances and your debtor’s financial position.

Take a look to develop a good understanding of the techniques that we are likely to use for debt recovery:   

  • Wage Garnishment

One of the most common methods is wage garnishment. This is a technique in which our bad debt collections lawyer obtains a court order directing the civil judgment debtor’s employer to pay a statutorily allowed portion of the debtor’s wages to be applied to the foreign judgment which has been domesticated into a Massachusetts civil judgment on behalf of the creditor.

So, what if your debtor is not employed, right? Well, in such a situation the good news is that wage garnishment is not the only type of garnishment. In fact, garnishment can be applied to any income in Massachusetts. This means that it doesn’t necessarily have to come from working.  Garnishment can be applied on:

  • Payments from insurance proceeds and 
  • Rental income to name but a few.

How and where to apply garnishment is largely dependent on the research done by the attorney. And let’s just say our attorney digs deep and thoroughly investigates to try to locate the hidden assets or means of earning that your debtor may have been hiding from you. 

  • Attachments or Ex Parte Attachment

Attachment or ex parte attachment is another technique that we may use to recover your debts. This debt collection strategy is when the court issues attachment on real estate or bank accounts. Before we discuss this in detail, let us tell you that ex parte basically mean without notice. 

The court may move forward with real estate attachment or ex parte attachment in situations where:

  • A sale may be pending on the real estate/ property, or
  • There is a danger that the debtor may destroy or damage the property

On the other hand, ex parte bank attachment is when the court freezes the debtor’s bank account. By doing so, the debtor can’t use or even withdraw the money from the account. This action not only limits the debtor’s ability to use their money but also increases the chances of having a meaningful settlement discussion with them concerning payment of the foreign judgment.

In the context of a prejudgment attachment, it is important for you to understand that freezing bank accounts doesn’t mean that you will be entitled to receive the money in the account. It acts merely like a security. However, if the debtor fails to pay your money despite of attachment on bank accounts and if you win the battle, then the bank will pay you from the money set aside. For more information on attachments, our attorney can help and provide you with quality guidance.

  • Lien

Another way to turn out of state judgments or foreign judgments into money is to use the power of lien. A lien can be best described as an encumbrance or a claim on a real estate. Let’s say the debtor owns a property, and you have a judgment against them, then before and after judgment the Law Offices of Alan M. Cohen LLC could try to obtain a real estate attachment (prejudgment) or levy upon an execution (post judgment) to create a lien on the deadbeat’s property. So, if the debtor either refinances or sells the lien property, they may be required under the law to pay you back from the proceeds. However, if the debt is more than the sales price, then the lien will prevent the debtor from selling or refinancing it until the debtor pays the civil judgment or makes a payment on the civil judgment.

  • Reach and Apply Injunction

What if the debtor tells you that they can’t pay back your money because their money is stuck in account receivables? So, does this mean that you have to wait for your debt recovery until their debtors pay them the money? No. Our attorney Alan M. Cohen can use the power of reach and apply injunction in such situations.

Reach and apply is a statutory tool which is not used that often, but we use it when we think that it can help our clients with debt collections and debt recovery. Besides this, Massachusetts is one of the few states, where reach and apply statutory tool is applicable and can be used for collecting pre-judgment debts and post judgment civil judgments.

This tactic allows the Law Offices of Alan M. Cohen LLC to enforce debt recovery on civil judgments indirectly but strategically, suing third party that owes money to your debtor. Simply put, under this strategy, the money that your debtor owes to you is recovered from their debtors—cutting out your debtor from the loop.

Reach and apply injunction allows the creditor or the creditor’s attorney to interact and directly deal with the third party; and make them pay you the money that they owe to your debtor.

Contact us Today

Based on your situation and case dynamics, we are the right choice to domesticate foreign judgments, collect civil judgments and pursue debt recovery. We are experienced Massachusetts collection attorneys and we will seek to employ the right approach to help you recover your debt from your debtor in Massachusetts. With our bad debt collections lawyers, you don’t have to worry about the distance or frustrate yourself trying to reach out to your debtor. Our attorneys will handle every aspect of your case from domesticating out of state judgment and foreign judgment to enforcing it and recovering your long due payments.

At the Law Offices of Alan M. Cohen LLC, we work in your best interest and don’t stop working until we recover the monies from the debtor or no one could recover the monies from the debtors. Sometimes this happens quickly. Sometimes it takes patience. We do not go away. We relentlessly and strategically pursue your debtors. We continue to follow up with the debtor routinely so that they make payments to you fast, instead of prolonging them.

Our relentless debt collection efforts have earned us the highest rating from Martindale-Hubbell. We can talk about our success and how we’ve helped our clients with debt recovery but we think it’s best to demonstrate rather than to just speak about it. So, allow us to handle your case and work relentlessly to try to turn your out of state judgment and foreign judgments into money. Call on (508) 620-6900 or email us at

client success stories
Debt Collection Blog