Debt Collection Blog

"Relentless Collection Attorneys"

Alan Cohen

What to Look for on Collecting a Foreign Judgment

Many attorneys and law offices will say they can domesticate a foreign judgment, bringing your out of state judgment to Massachusetts to attempt to collect on a debtor’s MA assets. Finding the right attorney, however, can make all the difference in collecting on a foreign judgment.

There are certain qualities you should look for in an attorney when you are aiming to collect on a foreign judgment.

Beyond Filing Suit

The most basic thing an attorney can do to collect on a foreign judgment is file suit, to bring the domestication action forward. This means that your judgment will be enforceable in Massachusetts, but it does not mean that  the debt will be collected.

You need to look for an attorney who will go beyond just filing suit.

What does that look like?

Investigating Assets

A good attorney will investigate a debtor’s assets at the same time as filing to domesticate a judgment. This means that there is no time wasted between having the judgment brought to MA successfully, and finding out what can be used to pay back debt.

Alan M. Cohen does exactly this, investigating the  debtor, and their monies and assets at the same time as filing suit.

Obtaining Attachments and Collecting

With this information, a quality law firm will seek to obtain ex parte attachments on identified assets, as prejudgment security. When Attorney Cohen obtains these attachments, he sends them to the sheriff to serve and record as needed, so that everything is in place for you to collect once the judgment is obtained.

Why You Should Choose Us

Our law offices will take every step to collect, with innovative, effective, and efficient methods. We do not waste time, nor do we compromise on ethics. Most importantly, we do not rely on persuasion. Instead, we use a solid legal strategy, including the above-mentioned tactics, as well as complaints on judgments, post-judgment litigation, and receivership.

When you are looking for an attorney to collect on your foreign judgment, look no further than the Law Offices of Alan M. Cohen. We have the skills, experience, and dedication needed to turn your paper judgment into money. Give us a call today at 508-620-6900 or email

client success stories
Debt Collection Blog