Spend Your Time Making Money

Leave The Debt Collection To Us

Foreign judgment: Chasing out-of-state judgments into Massachusetts

On Behalf of | May 3, 2024 | Aggressive Collections, Foreign Judgment Collection, Judgment Collection


Do you have an out-of-state judgment? Does your debtor have assets in Massachusetts? Our relentless and aggressive commercial collection lawyers at Law Offices of Alan M. Cohen & Associates LLC will ethically employ any and all applicable methods allowed to us under state, interstate and federal rules and statutes to help you get paid.

In the case of foreign judgments states are required to honor and recognize judgments those judgments by virtue of the U.S. Constitution. That is where we step in to help you domesticate and convert your foreign judgment into actual legal tender.

What is a foreign judgment?

A foreign judgment is a decree or court order that was issued in another state outside of Massachusetts. While the state of Massachusetts has adopted the Uniform Enforcement of Foreign Judgment Act, there is still no guarantee that you will get paid. Our aggressive commercial collection attorneys have more than 50 years of dedicated commercial collections experience and can lead you through the processes to get delinquent debts paid from assets in Massachusetts.

What steps do you need to take to file your judgment in Massachusetts?

Before you can attempt to collect on your foreign judgment, it has to be domesticated in Massachusetts. There are two ways to domesticate your foreign judgment and begin collection efforts:

  • Domesticate your foreign judgment by registration: To domesticate your foreign judgment by registration, our enforcement of judgment attorneys have to file your foreign judgment and an affidavit with the court. Notice will be provided to your debtor. If your debtor does not respond within the 30-day timeframe, the court will issue an execution. Upon receipt of the execution, we can take steps to go after your debtor’s personal property and assets in applicable post-judgment attachments.
  • Domesticate your foreign judgment through litigation: Another option to domesticate your foreign judgment and begin enforcement efforts is to proceed with litigation. This approach usually does not require you to wait 30 days for your debtor to reply, allowing you to take a more aggressive approach to getting paid faster. With this approach, we can also leverage a cadre of commercial collection tools and the power of appropriate pre-judgment attachments to help secure payment from deadbeat debtors.

Our experienced, tenacious and innovative commercial collections lawyers can assess your situation and evaluate the options that are available to enforce your judgment in Massachusetts. We know where to look for assets in Massachusetts that may satisfy the judgment in your state. Let us lead you through the most appropriate debt-collection tactics for your situation.

Schedule a consultation with an aggressive commercial debt collection attorney today

Our tenacious commercial collection attorneys are available by appointment for initial consultations. To schedule an appointment, you can contact us online or call us directly at 508-763-6604. Look at our website, read our reviews and you will see that we are a go-to resource for converting judgments into cash payments. We look forward to sharing our knowledge about the idiosyncrasies of commercial debt collection in Massachusetts and telling you more about how we can help you get paid on overdue debts and foreign judgments.